Before you get started, please read my Welcome post.

Friday, April 2, 2010

#14 Chicago Portillo's

We had a really good Friday Good Friday this week.  I took the day off and the three of us took a trip downtown, yes actually downtown Chicago.  We stopped at the Portillo’s on Ontario.  Believe it, or not, this is the only Portillo’s in Chicago.  I guess those of us from the suburbs take Portillo’s for granted.  I’ve spoken to a couple of friends who live in the city and they rarely, or if ever, go to Portillo’s.  On the other hand, I haven’t met a person yet from the suburbs who hasn’t been to Portillo’s.  One of the great things about driving down into the city is the ample parking.  I’m kidding of course, our city is not to friendly to drivers.  Case in point, the Portillo’s on Ontario is surrounded by one way streets, so you if you miss the turn you find yourself driving around in ever widening concentric squares looking for a spot.  The irony is that we saw a spot directly in front of the restaurant and had to drive a mile to get to it.  Fortunately it was still there, it was a legal spot, and I didn’t go the wrong way down a one way street like I’ve been known to do in the past.  What’s cool about this Portillo’s is that they have a bunch of actual Chicago memorabilia tacked to the walls.  You’ll have to stop by and check it out sometime.  Also, this is the only Portillo’s, at least the only one that I know of, that has a second floor. There’s quite a bit of seating up there as well.

Today was the last day for Pepper and Egg sandwiches at Portillo’s.  Lent is the only season when you can get this sandwich, and it’s one of Joy’s favorites.  Basically, that was one of the main reasons she agreed to go to Portillo’s two days in a row.  Yes, yesterday we were at the Portillo’s in Merrillville, Indiana.  Before I forget, this is the only Portillo’s I’ve seen with pizza.  I didn’t try it since it wasn’t listed on the official menu (paper version found at all the restaurants).  I don’t have the luxury of trying any other items, since I’m trying to get through every item on the menu this year.

We took the opportunity of being in the city to make a couple of other stops.  After Portillo’s we stopped at Quimby’s book store on North Avenue.  This is no Borders or Barnes and Noble.  They have some of the more obscure and, let’s just call it, interesting zines around.  If you’re as unfamiliar with this term as I was, it’s essentially a self published work reproduced by copier.  The name is a hyperlink if you want to check it out. This was a pick I made for Josh.  I thought he would find it interesting, and it’s good to take advantage of the diversity found in a large city.  The next stop was Windy City Scrapbooking.  I’ll give you one guess who this stop was for.  I think she was pleasantly surprised. The final stop was for all of us. It’s a place we’ve seen on the Food Channel and a place that our friends the Lugo’s recommended, Margie’s Candies on Western Ave.  It opened in 1921, and while I wasn’t completely sold on the ice cream, it was good, and it’s definitely worth a stop.  My boss Nisa knows the owners so if you have any trouble just let me know.

Jeff:
Broiled Chicken on a Croissant (delicious)
Onion Rings (if I knew these wouldn’t make me fat, I’d eat them all the time)
Joy:
Pepper and Egg (last one of the season – better than the last one she had)
Josh:
Jumbo Dog (always a good choice)
Fries





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 






Pictures from Margies Candies (below)

 



 










No comments:

Post a Comment