Before you get started, please read my Welcome post.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

#13 Merrillville Indiana Portillo's

Today was April Fools’ Day and I really felt like a fool today. We drove to Purdue since Josh has been accepted into the Biomedical Engineering program. This is a great accomplishment and we’re very proud of him!! The foolish part was that we thought that financial aid meant financial aid, not financial AIDS. How foolish is that? Financial aid means that we qualify for loans – whoopty do. The cost for an out of state student at Purdue is almost $42,000 a year. Assuming he finishes in four years that’s $168,000. Mind you that we were told that this is a worst case scenario, since he’s only required to live on campus the first year. Assuming he doesn’t eat, and he sleeps in the foyer of one of the buildings, as we found one student, we could bring the total down to perhaps $130,000. At current interest rates, that will be $1,611 a month for 10 years. That’s more like a mortgage payment! What was even more maddening was that in-state tuition was just about half that cost. Unfortunately the same doesn’t apply to the U of I where the tuition for in-state freshmen students is around $32,000. You can certainly tell where my mind has been lately!

Back to the main purpose of this blog, eating at Portillo’s. That’s something we can afford. We stopped at the Portillo’s in Merrillville, Indiana. This is the only Portillo’s in Indiana and it’s a nice one. We hit it right in the middle of the afternoon, which happened to be a great time to eat, since it wasn’t crowded. This is the first time I’ve noticed, but there was a baked potato side listed on the menu. It wasn’t on my official menu from the blog, so I didn’t have to “officially” order it, but I did and I liked it. Not sure if this is something that is coming to the other stores, but it should. I also ordered the Polish sausage. I’m a fan of sausage, and this was good. I followed my friend Tim’s advice and ordered it on a hot dog bun, although my friend Pete prefers Italian bread. In either case you’ve got to order it with the grilled onions and mustard. That’s the way it’s meant to be eaten.

Jeff:
Polish Sausage
Baked Potato
Joy:
Chopped Salad (bread – where’s the muffin?)
Josh:
Garbage Salad
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment