Before you get started, please read my Welcome post.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

#26 Oak Lawn Portillo's

I had a tough time sleeping last night.  Seems it goes in spurts where I can’t fall asleep and I’m up until the wee hours of the morning, or I go to sleep right away but then I wake up in the wee hours of the morning and can’t get back to sleep.  Perhaps it has something to do with the “wee hours?”  I have no idea what that means except that I’ve been up since 4am.  We took a drive down to see Josh at the U of I today.  It was a great day for a drive even though I was exhausted.  Thank goodness there are rest areas along the way.  Okay, seriously, how can anyone rest at a rest area?  I’ve just been sitting motionless for two hours.  Do I really need more rest?  I’ve rested so much that my legs are stiff, I have to take a wee, and highway hypnosis rendered me a zombie.  Perhaps they should call it a “revival area.”  Now that couldn’t be misconstrued, could it?  How about a “regeneration station,” at least that rhymes.  In any case, it’s slightly better than, but perhaps not as safe as, taking a tinkle next to the car on the shoulder.  A word of warning; Don’t be foolish and walk off into a corn field to protect your modesty!  You are likely to run into an alien making a crop circle or an old baseball player looking for a game.

We had a nice visit with Josh and on the way back Joy and I decided to make a stop at the Oak Lawn Portillo’s.  It’s not too far off the tollway.  I was pleasantly surprised that the person at the counter knew exactly what a tamale boat was.  If you get a chance sometime, order a tamale smothered in chili, cheese, and onions. It’s a favorite of my friend Jim S.
Jeff
Tamale Boat (not on the menu – tamale, chili, cheese, onions)
Cake Shake (I have to try everything!!)

Joy
Italian Beef



1 comment: