Before you get started, please read my Welcome post.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

#28 Crestwood Portillo's

Boo … In my opinion it’s the second best holiday of the year.  Actually, now that I’m older I probably enjoy it more than Christmas.  What a great holiday!  It’s all candy, candy, candy.  If I told you I had a sweet tooth that would be an understatement.  In fact, the inside of my mouth is starting to hurt.  Fortunately I gave blood a couple of weeks ago.  If I tried this week they’d have a hard time getting it out of my veins since it’s probably as thick as maple syrup.  Some people if given the choice between a nice steak and a piece of cake would choose the steak, but not me.  The bad news is that stage two diabetes runs in my family so at some point I’m going to have to watch it.  That’s really depressing.

Time to change the subject.  Joy got a new car!  She’s really excited since she’s never had a new car.  What a pain in the butt it was shopping around, but you’ll see her picture below in front of her 2011 Honda Accord.  Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for Joy, I didn’t get to drive it down to St. Louis last week.  Last weekend was my nephew Greg’s bachelor party.  He’s getting married in November.  Since half the family lives in Kansas City and the other half in Chicago, we decided to meet in St. Louis.  We had a great time.  Rather than treat you all to the entire weekend, here are some quick highlights.  Eight of us met in St. Louis on Friday to see the Hawks play the Blues.  The Hawks lost 4 to 2, but no one in the group got into a fight - even though both nephews were wearing Hawks jerseys.  After the game we stayed in a house my nephew Chris rented on a lake in Innsbrook, Mo.  It was a beautiful location (picture below).  We went on a zip line tour Saturday.  After six lines my brother Doug said he had a pain in his chest.  No, he didn’t have a heart attack, thank goodness, we were out in the middle of nowhere!  He thinks he was just tense because the guy told him he might ram into a tree at 40mph.  Seriously, he didn’t even get close.  I mean, he cleared it my at least three or four inches.  Oh, now that I think of it, this is the same guy who Greg inadvertently kneed in the groin.  It was painfully obvious that he wasn’t wearing a cup.  In the evening we went to the play Evil Dead the Musical.  Ironically, it was in a repurposed church.  I don’t know about the other guys, but I enjoyed it.  The highlight of the evening was when Darrell (niece’s fiancee) goaded Joe (other niece’s boyfriend) into trying to eat a tablespoon of cinnamon.  In retrospect this was a really bad idea.  Do not attempt this! Joe survived, but for a while we weren’t so sure he would.  Check out the video here.  Don’t worry, the copious vomit scenes are not shown, but you can see he’s in a lot of distress.  The rest of the trip was enjoyable, but largely uneventful, other than a hot dog bun fight (take my word for it; it stings when you get hit with a balled up bun).  At one point I was heard screaming, “Look out, he’s got a bun!”  On the way home I made my brother Carl and Josh stop at Cahokia. If you enjoy history you should check out the earthen mounds in southern Illinois. They were built by the Indians over a thousand years ago, at least that’s what’s alleged. Both Carl and Josh thought that it should have been called, “Ca_hoax_ia”.

As for the Crestwood Portillo’s (I’m going to try to be delicate) it hasn’t been my favorite. The facility itself needs a little maintenance.  The first chair I chose was broken and the bathroom was antiquated.  On the other hand, and probably more important, these were likely the nicest employees I’ve encountered so far.  Since I’m on a mission to eat everything on the menu, I ordered the “Vegi Croissant.”  Apparently I’m the first person to ever have ordered this.  At least that’s what was implied.  When the first girl couldn’t figure out how to enter it into the computer, I offered to order something different.  A second girl stepped in and said, “really it’s no problem, you get what you want.”  She put the order through and everything came out perfect.  Now you’re really going to think I’m nuts, but the vegi croissant was really, and I’m not kidding, really good.  Go figure.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, it was Portillo’s after all.

Jeff:
Vegi Croissant (If I ever become a vegetarian, this is what I’m eating)
Gourmet Garden Salad

Joy:
Chopped Salad (crunchiest bacon she’s ever had)



No comments:

Post a Comment