Before you get started, please read my Welcome post.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

#18 Bloomingdale Portillo's

Second Portillo’s in three days.  Funny, it wasn’t difficult to talk the same people into going in such a short period of time!  We met my nephew Greg and his girlfriend Annie at the Portillo’s in Bloomingdale.  Greg and Annie were on their way back to Kansas and not only suggested that we meet at a Portillo’s, they were happy to drive a few extra miles to go to one that I needed to visit.  Let’s face it, and this is ironic since Kansas is bespectacled with cattle, you can’t get what we call a ‘beef sandwich’ in Kansas.  Of course you can’t get KC barbeque in Chicago either, that’s the beauty of regional cuisine.  I’m sure we’re not the only ones, but when we plan vacations one of the first things we plan is where and what we’re going to eat.  Can I get a ‘YUM’?

Of all the Portillo’s we’ve visited so far I believe I like this one the best.  I know you’re probably wondering why if you’ve eaten here before.  It’s certainly unassuming from the outside, but that’s often the case in great places.  The interior of this Portillo’s is divided up into little streets with curbs and eating areas that are separated from each other.  Unlike the newer locations, with large open areas, this location affords some dining intimacy.  It’s much more conducive to conversations.  The only dining problem here lies in the pickup area where there can be a bottleneck.  One of the other things I really like is the extra large skylights.  One time we were here during a thunderstorm and it was awesome!  I do enjoy storms.  So, you’ve ascertained that this isn’t the first time I’ve been here.  We periodically met my mother and step-father here since it was about half way between our homes.  So, it holds some sentimental value to us as well.

As a side note, Annie made the ultimate compliment to Portillo's, she took along a hot dog for the road.  Way to go!

Jeff
Combo Beef and Char-Grilled Sausage (great)

Josh
Jumbo Hot Dog
Cheese Fries

Joy
Char-Broiled Chicken Sandwich

Greg
Big Beef
Fries

Annie
Italian Beef
Hot Dog (chaser)

All
Chocolate Éclair Cake (if they have it – get it!!!)

































No comments:

Post a Comment